Unfortunately, at this time, we are unable to consider resumes from International applicants. Candidates must be legally entitled to work in Canada in order to apply, i.e. have Landed Immigrant Status, Work Visa or be a Canadian Citizen.
To apply for positions not posted and general enquiries, please contact Human Resources at the following e-mail address:
Human Resources Department
Yukon Hospital Corporation
#5 Hospital Road
Whitehorse, Yukon, Y1A 3H7
Human Resources Jobs (email)
Microbiology Charge Technologist
Job Competition Closed
Location: Whitehorse General Hospital
Competition No.: #2012-239
Closing Date: Jun 06, 2014
Classification/Level: L09 PSAC
Pay Rate: $34.42 to $43.56 per hour
Employment Status: Regular Full Time
Monthly/weekly hours: 75 hours bi-weekly
Reporting to the Laboratory Manager, the Microbiology Charge Technologist is responsible for coordinating the day-to-day operations of the Microbiology Section of the laboratory; provides technical supervision to designated staff, performs related technical procedures, and participates in developing, writing and implementing policies and procedures for the Microbiology section. The Microbiology Charge Technologist oversees and coordinates internal and external quality controls and participates in the Laboratory’s continuous quality improvement initiatives and staff training; performs duties related to infection control testing and reporting for YHC, acts as a department liaison to the YHC Infection Control Committee; and acts as a technical resource for identification and susceptibility testing of various microorganisms. The microbiology charge technologist will fulfill the duties of the Biological Safety Officer (BSO) as prescribed in the Human pathogens and Toxins Act (HPTA).
The following are knowledge and skills required for this position:
- Specialized knowledge of current medical microbiology laboratory principles, theories, procedures, methods, techniques and practices;
- Strong knowledge and ability to maintain a wide variety of complex laboratory equipment with and without the aid of service personnel;
- Knowledge of Laboratory Quality Management Systems
- Proven ability to supervise and deal effectively with others;
- Demonstrated ability to train staff and evaluate competency
- Ability to perform routine and special analysis/procedures;
- Ability to maintain records and prepare comprehensive and concise reports;
- Demonstrated ability to write policies and procedures according to the Quality Manual format;
- Ability to maintain patient confidentiality;
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills;
- Professionalism, thoroughness, punctuality, reliability and tact;
- Ability to work independently and with minimal supervision;
- Ability to deal with interruptions, distractions, time pressures, concurrent demands and client pressures;
- Ability to work in a multidisciplinary team environment and foster team dynamics;
- Proven commitment to professional development and continuing education;
- Cross-cultural awareness.
The successful applicant will have a current CSMLS Certification as a Registered Medical Technologist in Canada, with Five (5) years recent progressive experience in a mid to high volume Clinical Microbiology Laboratory, including one (1) year in a supervisory capacity, or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience. A valid Class 5 Driver’s license is required for call-back purposes. Courses in Biological Safety and Risk Assessment as provided by PHAC through E-learning within 6 months of hire.
Yukon Hospital Corporation is committed to employment equity. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority consideration. We thank all those who apply and advise that only those candidates selected for further consideration will be contacted.
How to Apply:
Quoting competition #2012-239,email your resume by 4:00 p.m. to:
Please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org