Unfortunately, at this time, we are unable to consider resumes from International applicants. Candidates must be legally entitled to work in Canada in order to apply, i.e. have Landed Immigrant Status, Work Visa or be a Canadian Citizen.
To apply for positions not posted and general enquiries, please contact Human Resources at the following e-mail address:
Human Resources Department
Yukon Hospital Corporation
#5 Hospital Road
Whitehorse, Yukon, Y1A 3H7
Human Resources Jobs (email)
Medical Laboratory Assistant (Anticipatory Vacancy)
Job Competition Closed
Location: Whitehorse General Hospital
Competition No.: #2013-109
Closing Date: May 09, 2013
Classification/Level: L06 PSAC
Pay Rate: $27.59 to $34.92 per hours
Employment Status: Term Full Time
Monthly/weekly hours: 75 hours bi-weekly
Term: May 11, 2013 to March 01, 2014, or until return of incumbent.
Reporting to the Laboratory Manager, and working closely with the laboratory technologist the incumbent administers out-patient and in-patient blood and urine sampling, electrocardiograms, holter monitors, and pulmonary function tests; prepares and dispatches specimens to referral laboratories; receives specimens from the Health Centres; performs clerical and other related duties.
Knowledge and skills required for this position are as follows:
- Knowledge of medical laboratory terminology;
- Demonstrated keyboarding ability of 30 wpm with less than 5% error rate;
- Ability to maintain patient confidentiality;
- Ability to understand and follow all applicable policies and procedures;
- Understanding of basic laboratory technical testing;
- Ability to perform ECG and PFT;
- Demonstrated ability to perform phlebotomy on all clients including the newborn and infirm;
- Ability to work safely and follow universal precautions;
- Ability to maintain inventory and keep workspace clean and tidy;
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to multi-task in a fast paced environment;
- Strong attention to details;
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills;
- Excellent customer service skills;
- Professionalism, thoroughness, punctuality, reliability and tact;
- Ability to work independently and with minimal supervision;
- Ability to work in a team environment and foster team dynamics;
- Cross cultural awareness.
The successful candidate will have Certification as a laboratory Assistant with an accredited institution with practical experience in a medical laboratory setting, or an equivalent combination of education and experience. A requirement for this position is CPR, TDG and ECG interpretation certifications or must obtain within 6 months of hire. Previous employment in a health care setting would be considered an asset.
Yukon Hospital Corporation is committed to employment equity. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply, however, only those candidates selected for further consideration will be contacted. Unfortunately, at this time, we are unable to consider resumes from International applicants. Candidates must be legally entitled to work in Canada in order to apply, i.e. have Landed Immigrant Status, Work Visa, or be a Canadian Citizen.
How to Apply:
Quoting competition # 2013-109, email your resume by 4:00 p.m. May 9, 2012 to: