Whitehorse – As Whitehorse General Hospital expansion continues to move forward, a new patient/visitor parking lot will be under construction from July 4 to late August. During this short time, there will be small changes for the public when coming to WGH, including where to park and what path to take to enter the building. Here’s what to expect:
- Patients and visitors continue to come to WGH via Hospital Road
- Patient drop-off area and a few designated accessible parking spaces available next to main entrance
- General public parking available in nearby marked areas around the main construction areas
- Pedestrians use the main sidewalk directly in front of the hospital and Thomson Centre to move past construction and enter the building safely.
- City busses come to hospital via Wickstrom Road and stop at a new location – in front of the building located at #4 Hospital road
Download the press release
All hospital services remain open, accessible and continue to operate as normal during this period. Construction crews and hospital staff are working to minimize the impact on people coming or going from WGH.
The new public parking area is part of the WGH expansion project, which includes a new two-storey hospital wing with a modern emergency department, shelled second-floor space for future use and other facility upgrades. The new facility is designed to meet high standards for infection control, safety, comfort and security, which will create an improved healing space for our patients and enhanced work environment for our health care teams.
Significant progress has been made over the last few months with a new ambulance station opening last spring and construction on the new wing now well underway. With the building’s foundation nearly in place, Yukoners will begin to see the steel structure take shape in the coming weeks. The project is funded by Yukon government and is on schedule to be complete in early 2018.
The latest information about the project, including news, photos and a map for patients and visitors is available at: yukonhospitals.ca/WGHexpansion.
Communications, Yukon Hospitals