The Cancer Care Coordinator is a hospital staff member who provides a free service for cancer patients and their families by working closely with your health care team to provide continual support. This means you will always have someone to turn to with questions about your treatment and care.
The Coordinator is available for calls or appointments on Mondays from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. and Tuesday-Friday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
How to Access the Service
Patients can contact the coordinator directly at 867-393-8853 or by emailing email@example.com. Many people are referred by a physician, nurse, social worker and others, but no referral is necessary. You can also use the service based on your needs. This means you can schedule an appointment or call, as needed.
They can help you and your family:
- Find answers to your questions or concerns
- Find out what’s happening with the process such as receiving updates, knowing the next steps, navigating the system and understanding where you need to go
- Locate resources, such as reading materials, videos/CDs, DVDs, internet sites and cancer information lines
- Prepare for appointments and cancer treatments
- Understand the diagnostic tests and treatments
- Understand the roles of the health care professionals involved in your care
- Connect you with the right expert or support
- Access support services, including financial support, counselling and home care
- Understand medical travel benefits/coverage