First Nations Health Programs (FNHP) at Whitehorse General Hospital provide and support compassionate care for First Nations, Inuit and Métis people based on First Nations culture and values. Please don’t hesitate to ask for us when you arrive at the hospital, call us in advance or stop at the FNHP office located just inside the sliding doors at the WGH main entrance.
We are always here to listen, guide and support.
When you come to the hospital, it can often be a difficult and stressful time especially when you don’t know what to expect or didn’t have time to prepare. We can offer assistance and peace-of-mind, knowing that your needs are being met from the time you arrive to the time you are back in the comfort of your home.
How to Access our Services
Please self-identify. The staff at the hospital’s Admitting & Discharge desk will ask every patient if they would like to identify as First Nations, Metis or Inuit. This will ensure that all persons that self-identify will have access to our programs. If you do not self-identify, but would like our services, please advise your health care provider.
First Nation Health Programs offer assistance with:
- Daily visits with a liaison for emotional support or information about your care
- Working with Non-Insured Health Benefits (NIHB) to figure out financial assistance and travel inside and outside of the territory
- Keeping family members informed and supported with your guidance and consent
- Arranging for transportation back home, if necessary
- Providing basic personal care items when you’re brought in on an emergency
- Working with outside agencies to get you the services and supplies you need to recover and heal
- Providing access to traditional food and medicine while in hospital
- Offering healing and restful spaces for family, friends and community
To help you get ready for your appointment or overnight stay at the hospital, there is more information about:
WGH First Nations Patient Support Services
WGH First Nations Health Cultural Programs
First Nations Health Staff