Collection of Personal Health Information
Yukon's hospitals in Whitehorse, Dawson City and Watson Lake are public organizations and ‘health information custodians’ under Yukon’s Health Information Privacy Management Act (HIPMA). This means we are responsible for collecting, using, disclosing and protecting your personal health information in accordance with HIPMA as well as other applicable laws.
We collect personal health information directly from you or the person acting on your behalf so we can provide safe and excellent hospital care. This information may include your name, photograph, date of birth, address, health card number, health history, records of your visits to Yukon Hospitals and/or other health care providers. Occasionally, we collect personal health information from other sources, if we obtain your consent or if the law permits.
Need to access your personal health information? Visit Yukon Hospitals' Health Records Department for more information.
Uses and Disclosures of Your Personal Health Information
We use and disclose your personal health information to:
- Treat and care for you
- Help other health care providers who are not our employees, but may be required to assist in providing you with health care or health services
- Receive payment from your territorial/provincial health care plans, private insurers or others
- Help us plan, monitor, maintain and improve our care and services
- Locate you or your family in urgent/emergent situations using an overhead paging system
- Teach, provide training or conduct research with your consent or as permitted by law
- Plan, administer and manage our internal operations
- Fulfill other purposes permitted or required by law, e.g., reporting abuse, court orders and as authorized by the HIPMA
Disclosure of Your Personal Health Information Outside of the Yukon
In some cases, it is necessary for your personal health information to be disclosed to organizations outside Yukon in order to provide you with care. For example, some lab tests cannot be performed in Yukon and must be processed in another province.
When personal health information is disclosed to another province, the laws of that province apply.
Yukon Hospitals are committed to:
- Taking steps to protect personal health information from theft, loss and unauthorized access, copying, modification, use, disclosure, and disposal;
- Monitoring and managing our privacy compliance;
- Taking steps to ensure that everyone who performs services for us protects privacy and only uses personal health information for the purposes consented to; and
- Asking permission before disclosing any information for purposes not related directly to care (e.g. insurance companies, lawyers, etc.), unless otherwise required by law.
Your Information, Your Rights
Under Yukon law, you have the right (subject to certain limited exceptions) to:
- Withhold or withdraw your consent for us to collect your personal health information, allow its use by, or share it with a specific health care provider or organization for the purpose of providing you with care. We will do what we can within reason to comply with your wishes, unless we are authorized by law to do otherwise.
- Request to review or receive a copy of your personal health information. A fee may be charged. We keep your personal health information in accordance with our health records retention schedule.
Your personal health information can only be collected, used and disclosed under the HIPMA and its regulations:
- We will only share your personal health information with the media or for marketing or fundraising purposes with your express written consent.
- We will confirm your admission or location within the hospital with your family and close friends. If you do not wish to release any information, please tell a hospital staff member during registration or in the area your are visiting/staying.
- We will only notify a representative of your faith group or First Nation at your request.
Yukon Hospital's Privacy and Security Policy (PDF)
Protecting the Privacy of your Health Information (PDF)
Health Information Privacy Management Act (HIPMA)
Access to Information and Protection of Privacy Act (ATIPP)
Request Access to Health Information (PDF)