First Nations Health & Social Liaison Worker
Competition open until filled.
Reporting to the Director, First Nation Health Programs, the incumbent participates in patient care, planning, counselling and support to patients and their families. In addition, plans and develops culturally relevant health counselling and support programs for Aboriginal (First Nation, Inuit, and Métis) patients. Acts as a consumer advocate for Aboriginal people using the health care system when dealing with Aboriginal, community, Territorial, Provincial, and Federal agencies. The incumbent also assists with the planning and provision of culturally relevant training and support for healthcare providers, including the other First Nations Health Programs team members to ensure quality and culturally sensitive holistic healthcare.
The following are knowledge and skills required for this position:
- Excellent knowledge of culture, traditions, social history and economic conditions of Yukon First Nations;
- Very good knowledge of trends and developments in the field of child development, with emphasis on First Nation requirements;
- Good knowledge of trends and developments in the areas of Aboriginal health care and social service with particular emphasis on Aboriginal requirements;
- Knowledge of health and social programs in the Yukon;
- Strong counselling skills;
- Strong analytical skills;
- Good interpersonal skills for consensus building and problem solving;
- Ability to plan and develop culturally relevant health counselling and support programs for First Nations people and healthcare providers;
- Ability to work with all Aboriginal people and develop and maintain effective interpersonal relationships;
- Ability to deal with trauma and stressful situations and work as part of a healthcare team;
- Initiative to self-direct and maintain program delivery;
- Flexibility and good judgment;
- Good analytical and organizational skills;
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written;
- Reliability; and
- Ability to work effectively in a cross cultural environment.
Extensive experience with Yukon First Nations’ people and graduation from an acceptable social service or health care program (4 years) is required for this position. An equivalent combination of education and extensive related working experience may also be considered.
Please note: this position requires the ability to work days, evenings and weekends. Preference will be given to candidates of First Nation Ancestry.
Quoting competition # 2019-157, email your resume to: email@example.com
People Services & Culture
Yukon Hospital Corporation
Yukon Hospital Corporation is committed to employment equity. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority consideration. We thank all those who apply and advise that only those candidates selected for further consideration will be contacted.
Posting Date: Open Until Filled