First Nations Support Worker – Watson Lake Community Hospital
Reporting to the Manager, First Nation Health Programs (FNHP), with on-site supervision from the Director, Patient Care & Experience, the incumbent participates in the provision of patient care and care planning, and offers support to patients and families. Acts as an advocate for Indigenous people and community members in order to navigate our hospitals and the broader health system, which involves working closely with First Nations communities and partner agencies at the community, territorial, and/or federal levels to ensure the best possible outcomes and experiences. Maintains working knowledge of, and current database of, resources available in various communities. Acts as a resource to health care providers, and assists other First Nation Health Program team members to ensure quality and cultural safety.
Knowledge and Skills Required
• Excellent knowledge of culture, traditions, social history and economic conditions of Yukon First Nations
• Knowledge of health and social programs in the Yukon (YH&SS, YHC, local FN governments)
• Knowledge of traditional Indigenous healing and medicine practices and willingness to learn from elders and practitioners
• Excellent communications skills, both oral and written
• Strong analytical, assessment and counselling skills
• Demonstrated reliability and good organization skills
• Good interpersonal skills for consensus building and problem solving
• Excellent computer skills including knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook, etc.)
• Ability to plan and develop culturally relevant care plans, and other support programs for First Nations people
• Ability to plan and provide culturally appropriate teaching methods
• Ability to be self-directed in program delivery & improvements
• Ability to be flexible and show good judgment
• Ability to work effectively in a cross-cultural environment independently and as part of a team
• Ability to be self-managed and navigate available supports in traumatic and stressful situations
• Knowledge of First Nations health and social concerns throughout the life cycle
• Cultural competence
Knowledge and skills are typically acquired through extensive experience with Yukon First Nations people and graduation from an acceptable college and university level social service or health care related program of three or four (3-4) years.
An equivalent combination of education, training, and/or experience may be considered experience with Yukon First Nations people and graduation from an acceptable social service or health care program (4 years); an equivalent combination of education, training, and/or experience may be considered. Non Violent Crisis Intervention training and a valid Yukon Class 5 driver’s license with a clean drivers’ abstract are desired. An equivalent combination of education and extensive related working experience may also be considered.
Note: Preference will be given to applicants with First Nations ancestry.
Quoting competition #2021-098, email your resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Indigenous Workforce Initiative - We are committed to having a diverse and representative workforce that reflects the community we serve. When applying to YHC Career Opportunities, we invite you to voluntarily self-identify in the email body of your application. Please do so in whatever manner you feel accurately reflects who you are. You will then be connected with Yukon Hospitals’ Indigenous Workforce Initiative (IWI), where you can receive support with application materials, hear about additional training or mentorship opportunities, and ask any questions you have. All self-identification information will remain confidential. You are also welcome to contact IWI supports before submitting your application at IWI@wgh.yk.ca or call 867-332-7203.
Yukon Hospital Corporation is committed to employment equity. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply, however, only those candidates selected for further consideration will be contacted. Candidates must be legally entitled to work in Canada in order to apply, i.e. have Landed Immigrant Status (Permanent Resident), Work Visa, or be a Canadian Citizen.
Posting Date: February 23, 2021/Open Until Filled