Laboratory Assistant (Open to YHC Staff Only)
Reporting to the Laboratory Manager, and working closely with the Laboratory Technologists the incumbent administers out-patient and in-patient blood and urine sampling, electrocardiograms, holter monitors, and pulmonary function tests; prepares and dispatches specimens to referral laboratories; receives specimens from the Health Centers; performs clerical and other related duties.
Knowledge and skills required for this position are as follows:
- Knowledge of medical laboratory terminology;
- Demonstrated keyboarding ability of 30 wpm with less than 5% error rate;
- Ability to maintain patient confidentiality;
- Ability to understand and follow all applicable policies and procedures;
- Understanding of basic laboratory technical testing;
- Ability to perform ECG and ECG and PFT;
- Demonstrated ability to perform phlebotomy on all clients including the newborn and infirm;
- Ability to work safely and follow universal precautions;
- Ability to maintain inventory and keep workspace clean and tidy;
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to multi-task in a fast paced environment;
- Strong attention to detail
Effective communication and interpersonal skills;
Excellent customer service skills;
Professionalism, thoroughness, punctuality, reliability and tact;
Ability to work independently and with minimal supervision;
Ability to work in a team environment and foster team dynamics;
Cross cultural awareness.
The successful candidate will have Certification as a Laboratory Assistant with an accredited institution with practical experience in a medical laboratory setting, or an equivalent combination of education and experience. A requirement for this position is CPR, TDG and ECG interpretation certifications or must obtain within 6 months of hire. Previous employment in a health care setting would be considered an asset.
Quoting competition # 2019-207, email your resume by 4:00 p.m. May 27, 2019 to: firstname.lastname@example.org
People Services & Culture Yukon Hospital Corporation
Yukon Hospital Corporation
Yukon Hospital Corporation is committed to employment equity. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority consideration. We thank all those who apply and advise that only those candidates selected for further consideration will be contacted.
Posting Date: May 13, 2019