Laboratory Services Manager
Reporting to the Director of Diagnostic & Therapeutic Services, the Laboratory Services Manager is accountable for the overall management, day to day operations and technical functioning of laboratory services at all YHC facilities to ensure an efficient and effective service. This requires strong people skills in addition to leadership, administrative and technical knowledge. Primary functions include: fostering strong, positive employee relations; promoting excellence in quality, safety and risk management; efficient & effective utilization of human, financial and physical resources; budget implementation and project management. The Laboratory Services Manager takes a lead role in creating a culture of collaboration and teamwork. This position is key in nurturing our mission, vision and goals and works closely and collaboratively with all laboratory and YHC staff, healthcare partners, and is an important member of the YHC management team. In the absence of a Resident Pathologist, the position provides advice to other medical professionals and confers with pathologists; maintains an equipment maintenance system, supplies inventory system and coordinates the maintenance of the Laboratory and cardiology information systems.
Knowledge and Skills required for this position are as follows:
- Proven knowledge of medical laboratory principles, theories, procedures, methods, techniques, practices and legislation;
- Knowledge of procurement practices and the maintenance requirements for a wide variety of complex laboratory equipment;
- Demonstrated computer skills and full proficiency with MS Office Suite (including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook);
- Self-motivated and willingness towards continued learning;
- Quality improvement and client service oriented;
- Excellent communication skills (oral and written);
- Proven ability to effectively manage financial resources;
- Proven ability to effectively manage human resources, including conflict resolution and team building skills and techniques;
- Ability to organize, coach, mentor and evaluate staff in a variety of roles;
- Ability to effectively manage constraints and competing priorities - ability to multitask and demonstrated success in both;
- Ability to maintain records and prepare comprehensive and concise reports and correspondence;
- Ability to be effective in planning, implementing and evaluating change; and
- Cross-cultural awareness and sensitivity.
The successful candidate is required to have a Degree in Laboratory Medicine or Healthcare Management; Current Canadian Society for Medical Laboratory Science (CSMLS) Certification as a Registered Medical Technologist in Canada (2 to 3 years of post-secondary education at a technical institute); Three (3) to five (5) years healthcare management experience of which two (2) year’s experience are in a hospital setting. An equivalent combination of education/training and/or experience may be considered. A Degree in Health Administration Management, Meditech experience, Lean Six Sigma (minimum yellow belt) and an Undergraduate degree or specialization in health care field or equivalent experience related to the position are desired.
Quoting competition # 2021-648, e-mail your resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Indigenous Workforce Initiative - We are committed to having a diverse and representative workforce that reflects the community we serve. When applying to YHC Career Opportunities, we invite you to voluntarily self-identify in the email body of your application. Please do so in whatever manner you feel accurately reflects who you are. You will then be connected with Yukon Hospitals’ Indigenous Workforce Initiative (IWI), where you can receive support with application materials, hear about additional training or mentorship opportunities, and ask any questions you have. All self-identification information will remain confidential. You are also welcome to contact IWI supports before submitting your application at IWI@wgh.yk.ca or call 867-332-7203.
Yukon Hospital Corporation is committed to employment equity. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply, however, only those candidates selected for further consideration will be contacted. Unfortunately, at this time, we are unable to consider resumes from International applicants. Candidates must be legally entitled to work in Canada in order to apply, i.e. have Landed Immigrant Status, Work Visa, or be a Canadian Citizen.
Posting Date: October 13, 2021