Competition open until filled.
Reporting to the Manager of Facilities and Security Services, the Maintenance Engineer repairs, maintains and operates on a rotating shift schedule the heating/air conditioning, plumbing, electrical, Hydroclave, fire protection, boilers, medical gas and other related systems, equipment, and services. The incumbent will be required to work primarily at Whitehorse General Hospital (WGH) campus and occasionally at all YHC facilities including, but not limited to, the Watson Lake Community Hospital, Dawson City Community Hospital as well as any auxiliary buildings including all YHC staff housing.
Knowledge and skills required for this position are as follows:
- Extensive knowledge of mechanical repair tools and techniques.
- Knowledge of principles of operation, control, and maintenance of HVAC systems and Medical Air Systems in order to perform maintenance and repair functions on hospital equipment.
- Knowledge of safety and health regulations and guidelines as they pertain to the Boiler and Pressure Vessels Act.
- Good communications skills, both written and oral.
- Good computer skills, knowledge and use of Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel and Building Control systems.
- Ability to utilize knowledge of welding, electrical, carpentry, plumbing and HVAC
- Ability to organize, schedule, prioritize job tasks, and adapt to workload variances and determine parts that are required.
- Ability to maintain records and prepare comprehensive and concise reports.
- Ability to interpret technical and numerical information.
- Ability to work independently with limited supervision.
- Ability to deal with constant interruptions, distractions, time pressures, concurrent demands and staff pressures.
- Excellent decision making and problem solving skills.
- Effective interpersonal skills.
- Cross cultural awareness and sensitivity.
The successful applicant is required to have a current 4th Class Power Engineers Certificate; one (1) to two (2) years’ experience, preferably in a healthcare environment, and a valid Yukon Class 5 Driver’s License with a clean driving abstract. The following are considered desirable: Red Seal Trade ticket in Carpentry, Electrical, Plumbing, Millwright, Refrigeration, HVAC, Instrumentation, or Gas Fitter and above 4th (3, 2, 1) Power Engineering Certification.
Quoting competition #2018-325, email your resume to: email@example.com
People Services & Culture
Whitehorse General Hospital
Yukon Hospital Corporation is committed to employment equity. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply, however, only those candidates selected for further consideration will be contacted. Unfortunately, at this time, we are unable to consider resumes from International applicants. Candidates must be legally entitled to work in Canada in order to apply, i.e. have Landed Immigrant Status, Work Visa, or be a Canadian Citizen.
Posting Date: Open Until Filled