Occupational Health and Safety Consultant
Friday, August 13, 2021
This position is responsible for the development, implementation, management and maintenance of Occupational, Health and Safety (OH&S) programs for Yukon Hospital Corporation (YHC) that are consistent and compliant with applicable regulations and YHC’s policies and procedures. This position evaluates potential hazards of new/existing: processes, equipment, and identifies implements and manages engineering and administrative solutions. This position plans, develops and/or facilitates and coordinates the development and implementation of Occupational Health and Safety programs in collaboration with appropriate Corporation personnel and Workers’ Compensation Health & Safety personnel in order to ensure all hospital staff are working in a safe environment.
The following are knowledge and skills required for this position:
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of the Canada Labour Code Part II, the Occupational Health & Safety Act and workers’ compensation legislation.
- Thorough understanding of the principles of safety management.
- Extensive knowledge of hospital and/or healthcare safety practices.
- Knowledge of labour relations and progressive discipline.
- Knowledge of applicable collective agreement provisions and procedures.
- Knowledge of the principles of natural justice and procedural fairness.
- Knowledge of training methods and practices.
- Ability to conduct safety audits, inspections, accident investigations, disciplinary investigations and processes, and grievance procedures.
- Ability to interpret Occupational Health and Safety legislation to workers, supervisors and managers.
- Thorough understanding of current legislation, Codes of Practice, Bulletins and other safe work practice requirements and recommendations.
- Ability to use various computer Microsoft Office software products (Word, Excel, Outlook).
The successful applicant will have safety certification training (e.g. Canadian Registered Safety Professional (CRSP)), a University Degree or College Diploma in Human Resource Management or appropriate field; Fit testing certification – Qualitative and Quantitative; significant experience (3—5 years) with disability management, accident investigation, workplace inspection and job hazard analysis. As well as 1-2 year’s supervisory experience, including experience in discipline and grievance procedures; 3-5 years’ experience in occupational health and safety is also required. An equivalent combination of education/training and/or experience may be considered.
Quoting competition # 2021-009, email your resume to: email@example.com
Indigenous Workforce Initiative - We are committed to having a diverse and representative workforce that reflects the community we serve. When applying to YHC Career Opportunities, we invite you to voluntarily self-identify in the email body of your application. Please do so in whatever manner you feel accurately reflects who you are. You will then be connected with Yukon Hospitals’ Indigenous Workforce Initiative (IWI), where you can receive support with application materials, hear about additional training or mentorship opportunities, and ask any questions you have. All self-identification information will remain confidential. You are also welcome to contact IWI supports before submitting your application at IWI@wgh.yk.ca or call 867-332-7203.
Yukon Hospital Corporation is committed to employment equity. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply, however, only those candidates selected for further consideration will be contacted. Candidates must be legally entitled to work in Canada in order to apply, i.e. have Landed Immigrant Status (Permanent Resident), Work Visa, or be a Canadian Citizen.
Posting Date: January 13, 2021/Open Until Filled