Under the general direction of the Manager, Therapy Services, the Occupational Therapist (OT) plans, organizes and directs occupational therapy services for the assigned clinical area. The OT is responsible for the provision of service and/or expertise to the clients and staff of the Yukon Hospital Corporation’s facilities. The OT provides occupational therapy assessment and treatment to clients (inpatients and outpatients) with a broad range of physical and mental health conditions; promotes client independence and self-esteem; supervises and directs Therapy Assistants (TAs); supervises OT students, offers consulting services to clients, family members and the health care community in general; trains and supports YHC Staff in all facilities.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required:
- Knowledge of occupational therapy philosophy and principles;
- Knowledge of the rehabilitation process;
- Strong working knowledge of adapted or special equipment;
- Ability to supervise and train support staff;
- Ability to work independently, as well as within an interdisciplinary team;
- Ability to develop a plan and follow through with therapy;
- Ability to instruct in-services and teach individual training programs;
- Ability to promote client independence and self-esteem;
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing;
- Strong assessment and treatment skills in the physical, social, cognitive and psychological function of individuals;
- Effective interpersonal skills;
- Excellent problem solving skills;
- Excellent organizational skills; and
- Cross-cultural awareness.
The successful candidate is required to have a Bachelors or Master’s degree in Occupational Therapy, be eligible for individual membership with the Canadian Associate of Occupational Therapists, have a valid Class 5 driver’s license and a valid CPR Level C certification. Knowledge of program development, research, and evaluation; knowledge of general acute care principles and hospital (in and outpatient) procedures; knowledge of acute occupational therapist treatments (e.g. burns, CVA, dysphagia); knowledge of splinting techniques and principles; and two years related clinical experience are desired for this position.
Please Note: Internal employees only: This job posting will be utilized to create two Eligibility Lists – one for regular (full-time and part-time) and one for term positions. Qualified employees who wish to be included on either or both of the Eligibility Lists must apply for the job posting in order to be interviewed for the purpose of being ranked on the Eligibility Lists.
Quoting competition # 2019-010, email your resume by 4:00 p.m. on January 24, 2019 to: firstname.lastname@example.org
People Services and Culture
Whitehorse General Hospital
Yukon Hospital Corporation is committed to employment equity. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority consideration. We thank all those who apply and advise that only those candidates selected for further consideration will be contacted.
Posting Date: January 10, 2019